When we think of microwaves, we think of : convenience & guilt.
The reason we feel guilty is that it is widely known that this common household appliance can significantly zap the nutritional value of your food and your health. Then we ask ourselves, is the convenience worth sacrificing your health?
A nutritious plate of food once heated inside a microwave evolve into ‘dead food’ due to the dielectric heating of microwaves.“They bounce around the inside of your [microwave] oven and are absorbed by the food you put in it,” writes Dr. Joseph M. Mercola, licensed physician and surgeon. The water molecules rotate rapidly in the microwave and in the food in high frequencies which creates molecular friction and heats up your food. This causes the molecular structure in your food to change, and as a result diminishes the nutrient content in the food.
However, as much as we try to avoid the microwave, there are times where we need to use it. FoodieGuru suggests the best type of microwaves are convection microwaves.
So what are the differences between convection microwaves and plain microwaves?
1) A traditional microwave heats food by reacting with the water molecules in the food being prepared. Convection microwaves have heating elements and fans which makes for heating that is more even.
2) A traditional microwave is rarely able to cook anything worth eating. A convection microwave can prepare whole meals.
3) The range of food that a convection microwave oven can prepare is far greater than that of a regular microwave. (Baked goods). In short, microwaves can heat appetizers, entrees and desserts, but they cannot give the consistency of an oven-cooked meal. Convection microwaves do not have this disadvantage. They can brown foods, cook faster than an oven and even prepare meats.
Some foods that can cook in a convection microwave and not a plain microwave are:
- Raw meat (beef, chicken, lamb and more)
- Browned appetizers, such as cheese potatoes
Now you can have the convenience of a microwave with the safety and quality of an oven! Once I knew about this from FoodieGuru, I quickly went for a hunt for my new microwave. The one I chose from the shop near my house that was on sale at the time was “Smeg SA987CX”
There are many to choose from! Pick with your heart which one suits you the best.
For those who don’t want to spend too much, here are some options for low-priced convection microwaves:
Here are some mid-range convection microwave options:
For those who enjoy fancy kitchen appliances, here are your options: